Thursday, September 6, 2007

My first New Zealand Prep Class

So today I had my very first New Zealand prep class. I have to admit that I was a little nervous at first. My professor, Mark Widmer, kept talking about all of these backpacking trips and all of a sudden there was a red warning light going off in the back of my head! However, as he kept talking about doing all of these things that would normally make me cringe, I realized that this is exactly what I need, why I felt the need to apply in the first place. I have a really good feeling about this guys. I think my Dad is right, I am going to come back a different person. I still don't know very much yet but, I'll tell you what I do know. My program begins January 7th and officially ends April 16th. The first three weeks will be spent traveling and exploring the north island and the northern half of the south island. After the fun touring we will go down to Invercargill, which is on the southern tip of the south island, where we will live. We will be living in twos and threes with local non-member families. We will live 2-5 miles away from our school, the Southern Institute of Technology (SIT), and church. Every student will be provided one bicycle for transportation, thats right people, we're going missionary-style here! Mon, tues, and wed we will take classes form local professors at the SIT that are outdoor classes, ie: surfing, sailing, hiking, etc. Thurs and fri we will take classes from our professor, which means we will probably be going on more backpacking trips and visits to Stewart Island rather than sitting in a classroom! Saturdays are our own, but we will usually have a group acitivity, and sundays we will go to church! Next week I will know more about travel itineraries and such. I can't wait!

1 comment:

stevevdg said...

Wow Beck- your trip seems awesome. Sweet blog. I'm excited for you to go, only a couple months away! I think you should play rugby with the locals at least once just to really capture the whole cultural experience. You'd do great.