Sunday, February 3, 2008

Day Twenty-One February 1, 2008 Friday

It rained. Hard. We biked. Today I woke up at about 7 in order to get to town by 9. I had some toast with peanut butter, since I now have that luxury! As I was eating breakfast I watched the rain coming down outside, it was coming down in just about every direction you could imagine! The only thing that was going through my head is: I have to bike through that! Despite my trepidations I donned all of the expensive rain gear that I bought back in the states and headed to my bike in the garage. I looked pretty funny with big black rain pants and jacket with my hood up, a bright yellow reflective safety vest, and a helmet and backpack! I wrapped the contents of my backpack in a garbage bag so that it wouldn’t get soaked, but the bag itself was on its own! When we were all decked out we hopped on the bikes and set off. We got to school pretty quickly and dragged ourselves sopping and dripping into our classroom at SIT. Everyone was laughing at everyone else, because we all looked like wet puppy dogs! We sat in our classroom and listened to Mark go through each of the different classes, I am taking two of the three classes, Family Life and the Religion class that goes through the history of the church in New Zealand. At about eleven we broke up for the day, however those who had family life had to return at one for our first class. I decided to get ahead a little on my reading for the class, eat my pack lunch, and check my e-mail a bit. Class was really good, I think I am going to enjoy it a lot. It is an in-depth look at the proclamation to the family. I think that I will be able to add quite a bit as a philosophy student and by having a divorced family. We went through and were talking about how in New Zealand families so seldomly stay together or even get married at all. I find it hilarious that I came to New Zealand to have a whole family and everyone else is experience the other way for the first time! When it all comes down to it though, I love my family here in New Zealand, but I wouldn’t trade my family back home for anything. After class it was about three and we had to be at the church at seven. I asked Erin if she would rather jus stay in town and hang out until volleyball. We actually decided to go to a movie, because both of us wanted to see Juno and it was playing at four. We got some sandwiches at the grocery store and snuck them into the theater. The movie was really good, I liked it a lot. Afterwards we went to the two dollar store and Erin got some coloring books and a watch. Then we biked to the church, which is again, another million miles away in the opposite direction from home. Volleyball was cool, but a lot of people in a very small gym (Smelly!). Erin and I ended up riding home at around 8:30. We got home at about 9:20 and watched a little tv. I checked my e-mail again and now I am finally going to bed at 11:30, I am seriously so exhausted!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh you played volleyball, I am so proud! haha I love your pictures Beck, keep them coming!!!Love ya!