Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day Eight January 19, 2008 Saturday

Today we woke up amazingly early so that we could get to Wellington at a decent time. We had bagels and cream cheese as we sat in the vans and headed out in a hurry. I was able to get a quick cat-nap in the van, and then we chitty-chatted the rest of the way. When we got to Wellington we made sure that we could find our ferry loading zone, then we made our way into town. Once we got into town we headed towards a free museum close to where we parked. It was pretty neat to look at the Maori artifacts and comparisons to what New Zealand used to be and what it is today. Once we walked around for a while a few of us found a little restaurant row and got some lunch. Unfortunately we only had seven dollars, so all we could afford was McDonalds. I guess I could have spent my own money, but I really like the equality and balance that we have struck among our group. I decided to get McDonalds just like everyone else, and it was delicious. We looked around the museum a little more after lunch, and then we drove over to the ferry that would finally take us to the south island. I was so excited, not only because I had never driven onto a boat before, but it felt like we were taking a big step towards home! I know that sounds silly, I haven’t even seen my Invercargill home, but I literally can’t wait to meet my family and sleep in a bed and call one place home. Well after waiting for a while we finally drove onto the ferry and headed up to the passenger deck. It was fun to be on a boat, but there was little to do, so I ended up working on pictures and charging my computer and talking to friends a lot. That is another thing, I honestly can’t believe that I have been lucky enough to be put together with this group of people. One girl made the comment that she had the nicest and sweetest tent-mate, and before she could tell me who it was it occurred to me that she could say any of the 34 names and I would agree with her. I love each and every person that I am on this great adventure with. I am learning so much about myself and how life is meant to be lived, free and happy with friends at your side and a positive attitude about what is ahead of you. I love this experience and I only expect it to get better. After the three hour boat ride we landed in Picton, the little shore town on the very tip of the south island. We loaded back in the vans and drove to our little campsite. The site was beautiful and there was a great sense of peace throughout the camp after the hectic day we had had and the exhausting hike the night before. Immediately I was put in charge of managing the wireless internet (apparently the advisors think I should be in charge of everything that deals with technology!). It was ok though, I was able to get on for a couple of minutes, and hopefully I will be able to update my blog tomorrow. We ate a really disgusting dinner of ramen, but I don’t think anyone cared that much. After dinner I was able to take a hot shower (gasp…AMAZING!), but wait it gets better, I was also able to blow-dry my hair for the first time in a week!!!!!!!!! I can’t tell you how easy it is to appreciate the smallest things when you are in this country. I realize now how lucky I truly am. I know that a lot of my friends and family are living a whole lot better off than I currently am, but I literally felt like the luckiest girl in the world with clean dry hair. I know that it is pretty impossible to top all that (I mean literally!). But in addition to all that extravagance, I was also able to wash all of my clothes in an actual washing machine, and dry them so they could no longer smell like mildew! Could this day get any better? I submit that it could not! Well I have to admit that I am insanely exhausted and we have to wake up bright and early to drive to church an hour away. Have a wonderful night everyone, I know that I will and am.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I WANT MORE PICTURES!

I love reading your blog and get insanely jealous as I can see my breath in the frigid air!

I love you Beck Beck!

Anonymous said...

Hey KiKi!
Sounds like you are having the trip of a lifetime! We just read your latest entry and are insanely jealous!! We went cross country skiing today and are so sore....I'm sure it doesn't compare to your 12 mile hike though!!! We miss you so much! Keep posting!!
Love, Sis, Tom and Isabel

Kathryn said...

Beck this sounds like an absolute dream! I am so glad you are having a blast. I am definitely living vicariously through you right now!! Keep posting all of this good stuff, I love reading it! Love you tons, stay safe and have a blast!!!

Love Kat