Monday, January 14, 2008

Day Three January 14, 2008 Monday

This might be the last time I can update for a while, so I am going to do it now so you can see the amazing stuff from today!

This morning we woke up super early, 6:45 to be exact! When I first climbed out of my tent I looked out on the fields that are surrounding our campsite, and there was a misty fog covering everything but the treetops, it was absolutely gorgeous. The mist made me feel a little like I was standing in a sinking ship or looking at a mystical forest or something. I put on my swimsuit as quickly as I possibly could and brushed my teeth and hair. There was no time for breakfast as I was in the very first group to go black-water rafting. We only had to walk across the little lane to the caving place. The first thing we did was sign release forms. Then they took us down to the open little area where they fitted us with wet suits and helmets with lights on the head. Putting on the wet suits was pretty funny, and we broke out into song more than once! Once we were all suited up we drove about two miles down the road to a little clearing with a stream running through it. We picked out our inner tubes and practiced jumping backwards off the dock so that we wouldn’t freak out when we had to jump off the waterfalls in the dark cave. After we got our inner tubes we hiked a ways up the hill in our wetsuits to the opening of the cave (PS: wetsuits are quite possibly the most uncomfortable hiking clothing of all time!). Finally it was time to climb into the caves. It was really rocky and jagged, but kind of cool too. We had to hike a ways into the caves before we got to the river part, but that was fine, the caves were really interesting. We stopped in a little tunnel and learned all about the glowworms. It was pretty cool, they basically live in a cocoon for nine months eating food that is attracted by their glowing bums and then live for two days, just long enough to lay a couple hundred eggs. Finally it was time to get in our tubes as we paddled and pushed our way through a labyrinth of tunnels filled with glowing worms on the ceilings. At one point we had to jump backwards off of a ten-foot waterfall, and I happened to be the lucky first contestant! We spent probably an hour and 15 minutes underground, and it was a total blast. After we came out of the tunnels we floated down a little stream for a while until we reached the vans again. When we got to the vans we all piled in and went back to the main place and stripped off our wetsuits. They gave us tomato soup and bagels when we got back, and I don’t think I have ever had more delicious soup in my entire life! When we came back we bummed around for a while and I did some picture managing. Around one we had some lunch and then hiked down the road a ways to the angora rabbit shearers. We walked into the little shop and rounded the corner and I found myself face-to-face with the fluffiest bunny I have seen in my entire life! They shear the bunnies to spin the wool and make some of the softest clothing of all time. When they shear the bunnies they actually tie all of their legs up and spin them around, kind of like a pig on spit! It was so funny watching this little bunny getting shaved, I wanted to feel bad, but I could tell that the bunny was so happy to just get a haircut! After the bunny shaving tutorial we walked back to camp and hung out for a while longer. It was nice to just sit and relax after the days we have been having. I was able to blog and get a few pictures up. After a while we had dinner and talked. I started to feel a bit queasy so I took a shower and tried to take it easy. Hopefully I will feel better in the morning. I’m sure I will. I have already had to doctor a few injuries and sicknesses. I am definitely keeping busy, and having a total blast!

6 comments:

Scott and Nicole albertson said...

Wow Beck! That sounds so awesome! I am completely jealous of all your amazing experiences! I'm here at work in my freezing office staring at my computer and thinking about how cold it is outside as I read about the beautiful weather and fun experiences that you get to enjoy! I hope you get feeling better and continue to have a blast while you are there! love ya!

nicole

Anonymous said...

How AWSOME!! I'm glad you are having such a great time! The rafting sounded soooo fun! Keep up the good posts! We love reading about your adventures!!
Love, Sis

Mom D said...

Hi Blessed :) Becky,
Your dad sent your blog address to me. I realized after reading that I had experienced your Monday in word, as I was just beginning my own Monday. An amazing and strange feeling. So glad you are having this experience. Thanks for sharing and be careful as you learn and have fun.
With love,
Darlene

Anonymous said...

yo boo... I WANT MORE PICS.

i can't wait for the 12 hour debrief when you get home.

Sue Levanger said...

Hi Dolly (I mean Bunny), I am so jealous of the bunnie shearing - how cool is that to watch the soft bunnies twirl around. Your caving experience sounded - "scary", but fun for you so am glad that you LOVED it!!! I am proud and elated to hear your news each day - I miss and love you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Keep it up. You can always sleep when you get back! For now, keep moving. Love, Dad