Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day Sixteen January 27, 2008 Sunday

Today we woke up at about eight so we could get ready for church in time. Of course after we got all ready we received a phone call telling us it wasn’t until ten! I will never again in my life underestimate the joys of a hot shower and a mattress to sleep on, last night was heaven! We had cereal for breakfast, and a little bit of fruit salad, which was lovely. After breakfast we hung around for a bit and then Mark drove us to church. It is quite a long distance from the house, I would guess probably 7-9 km, which will not be very fun in the rain on bicycles! We went to church and met our new ward. Everyone was very friendly and happy to meet us. They didn’t give out specific assignments yet, but I think I am going to be teaching relief society one week. Church was a little long, they have trouble filling all the time they are given with their regular speakers, so someone from the presidency gets up and rambles for a bit until the time is through! One of the best parts about church was hearing about everyone else’s families. I am fully convinced that Erin and I have the best family far and away! When we came back from church we had lunch and ate these amazing sandwiches. After lunch we walked over to the eastern paddock to see the new calf that was born three days ago, it was very cute. When we said goodbye to the cows and the horse Mark and the girls suggested we go to the beach. We drove about 5km down the rode to the beach here and the girls and I took turns on the boogy boards. Erin didn’t want to get all gross again, but I just dove right in! After about an hour we headed back to the house to help Vicki get ready for the barbeque. Yes we had another barbeque tonight! Vicki and Mark had the food pretty much under control, so I went outside to take the clothes off the line. I must say that I will never again underestimate the extravagance of fabric softener! When I had all the clothes folded and off the line I came inside and the girls wanted to watch a movie until the barbeque started. I have to tell you about the barbeques in New Zealand, because I am convinced that it is how we should be doing it in the states. First of all, no one starts cooking until all the guests have arrived, just all of the preparations are done in advance. This is nice because everyone works together and socializes while the food is cooking. The next great thing is that everyone brings a little bit of everything. In America usually the host party will handle the meat, while guests bring dessert or a salad or something. Here, because everyone brings some of everything, there are about seven different kinds of meats, three salads, and at least two desserts! It really is a whole bunch of fun, and such a fine array of flavors! The barbeque was great and the food was incredible. I am kind of hoping that they don’t keep feeding me like this though, because I am never going to get in shape if they do! After we were done eating the girls wanted to watch Pride and Prejudice, so we sat down and watched it with them. Now it is late and I am stuffed and very sleepy, it has been another amazing day in paradise. (My arms are ridiculously dark now, and I still have three months to go, I can’t wait to see them when I get home!)

No comments: